The study of rocks is a bit more challenging than the study of minerals. Why? The term "rock" includes a wide variety of things, including substances that we usually don't think of as rocks.
The definition of a rock is not as precise as the definition of a mineral. It includes a much broader range of substances.
- Understanding What "Naturally Occurring" Means
- Understanding What "Solid" Means
- Understanding What "Large Deposits" Means
- Identifying Igneous Rocks
- Intrusive and Extrusive Rocks
- Igneous Sugar.
- Light and Dark Minerals
- Igneous Rocks and Bubbles
- Mystery of the Golden Needles
This is a list of all the materials that you will need to complete this unit. The list will be updated regularly, as new activities are added.
- Where to Get Mineral Specimens
A few suggestions for easy ways to start your mineral collection.
A basic vocabulary for this unit.
- Suggested Reading List
Some of my favorite mineral books.